Thursday, December 01, 2005

Parenting lecture

After hearing about and reading Mary Sheedy Kurcinka (Raising your spirited child) for the past five years in ECFE classes I decided I better take the opportunity to see her speak in person so I went to a lecture tonight: "Kids, Parents, and Power Struggles: Winning for a Lifetime." Maybe if I hear her say it in person I can put an end to the "no you can't; yes I can; no you can't; yes I can" fights.

But Mrs. Bickerson, how is this post related to knitting?

Well, I'll tell you. I took my current project (Scarf #86) with me thinking, how could knitting quietly in my seat possibly bother anybody in the auditorium? I placed my ball of yarn on the floor next to my bag while I knitted and 20 minutes into the lecture the ball had rolled forward about 10 rows. I would have left it there (someone had his foot on it) and retrieved it later but two women sitting near me developed a keen interest in my runaway ball of yarn. I was worried that first they were going to laugh themselves to death and later that they were going to stand up and make an announcement so that the guy with his foot on my yarn would release it. Luckily he shifted in his seat and the yarn was loose so I wound it up as fast as I could. I was a little worried that I would be the first person kicked out of an auditorium for disruptive knitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment