Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Music education

Wednesday night is one of the best nights of the week thanks to a choir with a demanding director, two solid hours of singing, interesting repertoire, hard stuff and easy, new and old. I think those two hours each week are the reason I haven't signed myself up for intensive psychotherapy (yet).

So I want my kids to have some positive music experiences in school and church choirs. One of the elementary school concerts that I remember was when I was in 5th grade. Four elementary schools combined the 5th and 6th graders to sing a variety of compositions, one of which was this. Come back here when you are done laughing.

Can you believe a music teacher would choose that song for a concert? Believe it, baby.

This one is worse. Now imagine this grizzled Kris Kristofferson song being sung by a group of about ten 6th graders during the offertory at church. How sweet and church-like is that? What the hell did the congregation think? "You know, now that I've heard that song sung by 6th graders, Johnny Cash just doesn't do it justice any more."

No comments:

Post a Comment