Saturday, September 24, 2005

Tears for Spongebob

The new rule in our family is one half-hour of television allowed after a successful quiet time (formerly known as nap time). After a busy morning and afternoon both kids complied with quiet time and rested in their rooms. Hope actually slept. So they earned one television show and today they picked Spongebob on Nickelodeon.

They were hypnotized by the show and I was minding my own business reading the paper and enjoying some coffee when I heard Hank say to his sister, "It's okay Hope. Don't cry." I turned and looked at my daughter. Her eyes were filled with tears and her cheeks were all red.

"What's wrong Hope?"

She's totally sobbing now, "I don't want Spongebob's horsey to LEAVE!!" Sobbing and sobbing.

I had no clue what had transpired on the show so I hit the rewind button on the Tivo. It appeared that Spongebob brought home a stray seahorse and his friend encouraged him to set him free. So that's what he did and he was all crying and sobbing about giving up his new pet. The seahorse was thrilled to go. It was very funny with lots of visual gags and sarcasm, but apparently your three year-olds don't appreciate the subtleties of Spongebob comedy. Hope was beside herself with sorrow.

I was going to snap a picture of her crying and post it here but I decided to hug her for awhile instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment