Saturday, February 25, 2006

Tears

We got home last night from a late dinner and I decided the kids needed to pretty much go straight to bed. We tucked them in (not much tucking required for Hope as she fell asleep in the car on the way home) and Gary started searching for a movie to watch on Pay Per View. He ordered up Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith and we settled in with our popcorn ready to watch.

Who should come creeping around the corner when he heard the opening music? None other than our biggest Star Wars fan, Hank. We had a five minute argument about him going back to bed. He wanted to know which Star Wars we were watching. Was it one that he hadn't seen that all of his friends were talking about? We tried to ignore the question and firmly stated that it was very late and he needed to be in bed. Resigned, he walked back to his bedroom.

Gary and I looked at each other. It was Friday night. There is no greater Star Wars fan in our family. Would it kill us to let the little guy stay up and watch the movie with us?

I called to Hank in his bedroom and said his dad and I had decided it would be okay for him to watch the movie. I was surprised he didn't come sprinting out of his room at the news but about 30 seconds later I said it again and he came around the corner, wiping his eyes on his jammy sleeves.

Hank, are you crying?

No Mom, I just got some tears coming in my eyes.

As tired as I am with all the crying and wailing that goes on in this house every day, I cannot tell you how bad my heart hurt thinking that he had been up there in his room crying quietly, all by himself. And it hurts more to know that there will be many opportunities for tears he'd rather hide from his parents in the coming years.

May the force be with us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment