Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Among other things we need, we need a new water heater. I thought maybe the dog made the wet spot in the basement but it didn't smell like pee to me so I figured the kids dumped a cup of water on the floor. Two weeks later the wet spot is still there and -- aha! -- the fault lies with the 700 year-old water heater. It appears to have been leaking out of the rusty bottom for awhile.

I called our go-to handyman and he said he was finishing up a project and could maybe fix it mid-week.

When something's broken in our house (or on the verge of breaking) I have a limited ability to stay calm and be patient about it. I would really rather things never, ever break in our house. I would be much happier.

When I'm feeling anxious about something like an almost broken water heater what I like to do is drink more coffee than usual. So, yesterday I brewed up pot numero dos of Dunn Brothers Columbia Roast and pondered my situation. I looked up "water heater installation" online and thought to myself, Really. How hard can it be?

It's not rocket science, is it?

I hopped in the Honda and headed to Home Depot. I was ready to install myself a new water heater.

Problem 1: Large box. Very heavy.
Problem 2: Honda minivan too short.
Problem 3: The coffee was wearing off.

God bless him, our handyman called to tell me that he found a way to finish up the other project so he could get to us today.

Handyman to the rescue!

He's good.

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, never do that! I used to work for a plumbing & heating wholesale company, and had lots of contact with contractors, as well as co-workers who knew a lot about the installation of that kind of thing. If you don't know what you're doing, a water heater is the kind of thing that can blow up and seriously injure someone. I'm glad your handyman came through for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When not seeking comfort through prayer, I too seek comfort and guidance in coffee. It tends to lead to very bad things.

    ReplyDelete