Sunday, May 30, 2010

Hee's a giant heed! Eet has eet's own solar system!

(You are required to say that post title with a Scottish Mike Meyers accent from "So I Married an Ax Murderer.")

We drove home today from a camping trip in Aunt Nancy and Uncle Steve's yard. We neglected to secure a camp site at Boone's Ledges State Park but there was no disappointment because Nancy and Steve's site is more than sufficient.

I am not kidding when I say it is heaven on earth there. Their old dog, Reglisse, died at Christmastime and Steve said the only thing different about where he is now is he is not in pain. Heaven can't be much better that the spot of land that Nancy and Steve have. It's just absolutely beautiful. You can get a good workout swatting flies but that's a small price to pay.

Fun was had. Laughs were had. Political arguments were had. And animals were harrassed.

As you can tell by the expressions, they were not happy with us.

So, back to the title of this post. I think what I like most about owning this somewhat hideous RV is how much the kids are enjoying themselves and how camping is forcing us to spend time with each other. Close up. Hank fell asleep on my lap on the way home today somewhere between Mason City and Albert Lea. I can't recall the last time he fell asleep with his head on my lap. It must have been a few years and he had to have had a fever. So, he's sleeping on me and I'm scratching his giant head. When did my little boy's head grow so big? I look at friends' new baby pictures and think, Hank and Hope were as little as that just yesterday!

I'm going to wake up one day soon and they both will be long gone. But for now? Good times. Great times.

2 comments: